Friday, January 15, 2010

Here we go...

Right. I'm taking a break from crazy packing mode to update, just to get into the habit. I'm all done with immunizations, starting malaria pills tonight, driving up to Minneapolis today, leaving on a plane at 6am on Sunday.

This is really happening.

I spent Wednesday meeting with friends. Saw James and Hannah in the morning, and then had lunch with Emilie. She works at the library downtown and is friends with practically everyone at WARC. She gave me some wonderful advice, and a care package (travel shampoo, hand sanitizer, chocolate, and toilet paper- I appreciate that tip most of all!) and letters for all the staff. Sandra had even more good advice, not to mention pages of "in case I forget to mention it" tips and even some phrases in Wolof that she said would be especially helpful. And presents for friends over there.

It was so great talking to Emilie and Sandra both- not only did it help me get a feel for what I need to know, and how I could approach this trip, but each of them told me about things I'd never think to ask. I wish I could come up with an example now, but my brain's still in packing mode.

Oh! And Disa came over last night. We had fun- it turns out you can annoy friends long-distance via Skype, and we were both giddy- her from lack of sleep, and me from stress, so we had a grand old time. (Apologies to Mark and Max, of course) She helped me pack, too. So, thanks Disa :).

I get really weird about saying goodbye to everyone. I'm sorry if I haven't called or emailed or met you for coffee. Out of all my friends from home, I've seen three this break. But for me, it feels like it's just better to leave. "See you later" sums it up. Because I will see you later. So there's no need to make a fuss.

Hopefully I'll get better at this whole blogging thing. I realize that right now it's not very interesting. I could give you a packing list, I suppose, but at this point that's all that's on my mind. And a shower. *sigh*. Here I go to take one last long shower at home before I go- a very important part of my pre-departure routine for any trip.


Demain on est parti dans le pays des étrangers....
kvatt han àn skilna∂artàra

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're keeping a blog. Now I can stalk you from the comfort of my couch. Have an amazing time and if you send me your address, I'll send you chatty and pointless letters designed to make you feel homesick.

    Lots of Love,
    Jenna

    ReplyDelete